Too Many Bulls in the Room
TheStreet Premium Services
A complimentary preview
of Options-Profits Previews
On one bullish/bearish table I compiled at the end of day we actually ran 'short' of bearish names, an unusual occurrence and one that I take as a warning sign for 'frothy' action.
Futures are currently down 21 points, but I assure you this is not Monday morning quarterbacking. One desk note I saw today suggested that market moves are getting more extreme both up and down due to traders who are lack conviction 'chasing' moves and I have to agree. After unusually strong returns in 2013 for the broad market, 2014 is a different beast and investors and traders are trying to find their footing.
Bullish flow can still be a good sign, but I'm likely to assemble trades in the form of an outperformance bet rather than outright long for a while. SPDR S&P 500 (SPY) and PowerShares QQQ (QQQ) and the sector ETFs make this an easy task.
OptionsProfits can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/OptionsProfits
Henry can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/OptionAlert
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV