First, quarterly sales for the three months to February beat expectations. The third-largest drugstore chain in the U.S. generated revenue of $6.6 billion. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters had anticipated revenue of $6.54 billion.
Then, profits came in better than expected. Over the three-month period, Rite Aid recorded net income of 6 cents a share, 2 cents higher than consensus.
Finally, fiscal 2015 guidance met analysts' expectations. The Camp Hill, Penn.-based business said it expects sales between $26 billion and $26.5 billion with same-store sales increasing 2.5% to $4.5%. Net income is expected in the range of 31 cents to 42 cents.For the year ending February next year, analysts had forecast earnings of 35 cents a share and revenue of $25.7 billion. By late morning, shares had added 10.9% to $7.09. Trading volume of 64.1 million was more than triple its three-month daily average. Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Growth Stocks STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings team rates RITE AID CORP as a Hold with a ratings score of C. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate RITE AID CORP (RAD) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed -- some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, compelling growth in net income and solid stock price performance. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including poor profit margins and weak operating cash flow."
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: RAD Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV