NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Yamana Gold (AUY - Get Report) dipped slightly on Thursday after Goldcorp (GG), the world's second-largest gold miner by market value, increased its buyout offer for fellow Canadian company Osisko Mining Corp. to surpass Yamana's bid.
Goldcorp increased its hostile offer to C$3.6 billion, or $3.3 billion, as it tries to take control of Osisko's Canadian Malartic gold mine in Quebec. This new offer equates to C$7.65 a share, up from a previous offer of C$5.95 a share. Earlier in April, Osisko revealed Yamana's bid for 50% of its assets, which valued Osisko at approximately C$3.3 billion, or C$7.60 per share.
Osisko CEO Sean Roosen told Reuters on Tuesday that it would be difficult for Goldcorp to beat Yamana's offer.
Yamana was down 1.02% to $8.74 at 11:36 a.m.Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Growth Stocks STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. ---------- Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates YAMANA GOLD INC as a "sell" with a ratings score of D+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate YAMANA GOLD INC (AUY) a SELL. This is driven by multiple weaknesses, which we believe should have a greater impact than any strengths, and could make it more difficult for investors to achieve positive results compared to most of the stocks we cover. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its feeble growth in its earnings per share, deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity, weak operating cash flow and generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- YAMANA GOLD INC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. During the past fiscal year, YAMANA GOLD INC swung to a loss, reporting -$0.59 versus $0.59 in the prior year.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Metals & Mining industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 445.2% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $169.16 million to -$583.89 million.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Metals & Mining industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, YAMANA GOLD INC underperformed against that of the industry average and is significantly less than that of the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $184.84 million or 49.75% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing the cash generation rate to the industry average, the firm's growth is significantly lower.
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 37.82%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 454.54% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Turning toward the future, the fact that the stock has come down in price over the past year should not necessarily be interpreted as a negative; it could be one of the factors that may help make the stock attractive down the road. Right now, however, we believe that it is too soon to buy.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: AUY Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts