Clean Energy Fuels Corp. (NASDAQ: CLNE) today announced that it has supplied Hawaii Gas with the first shipment of liquefied natural gas (LNG) in Hawaii state history. Hawaii Gas recently received approval from the Hawaii Public Utility Commission to land containerized LNG for use as a back-up fuel source for its Oahu synthetic natural gas plant. Clean Energy’s initial delivery totaled approximately 7,100 LNG gallons.
LNG loaded onto an ISO container at Clean Energy's liquefaction plant in Boron, Calif., for transport to Hawaii Gas in Honolulu, Hawaii. (Photo: Business Wire)
“Natural gas has again proven its versatility by meeting the fueling needs of Hawaii Gas in an economically and environmentally-friendly manner,” said Brian Powers, vice president of LNG production at Clean Energy. “Hawaii Gas has shown leadership in its multi-year commitment to bring the benefits of natural gas to the ratepayers of Hawaii.”
The LNG was loaded into an ISO container at Clean Energy’s liquefaction plant in Boron, Calif., transported to the Port of Los Angeles and then shipped to Honolulu, Hawaii, where it was re-gasified and injected into Hawaii Gas’s utility distribution pipeline.
“These initial shipments of LNG represent an important step in support of Hawaii’s clean energy future,” said Alicia Moy, Chief Executive Officer of Hawaii Gas. “Bringing LNG in ISO containers allows us to diversify our existing fuel supply. As we bring in larger quantities of LNG, we believe we can meet the needs of the people and businesses of Hawaii by lowering their cost of energy with a lower-carbon fuel.”Hawaii Gas is working in partnership with stakeholders throughout the state to utilize LNG as a less expensive and cleaner burning fuel for utility and commercial power generation as well as for ground and marine transportation.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV