By midafternoon, shares had added 4.4% to $90.38.
The industrial equipment distributor reported net income of 87 cents a share in the three months to February. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters had anticipated 85 cents a share.
Revenue of $661.5 million was 16.2% higher year over year, but fell short of estimates by $3.11 million."The manufacturing environment continues to show improvement. Despite the impact of weather disruptions, we continued to gain share in our core metalworking market and saw accelerated growth rates in our national account and government programs," CEO Erik Gershwind said in a statement. For its third quarter ending May, the company anticipates sales between $720 million and $732 million and net income of $1.03 to $1.07 a share. Analysts forecast $722.1 million in sales and $1.07 a share net income. Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Growth Stocks STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings team rates MSC INDUSTRIAL DIRECT as a Buy with a ratings score of A. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate MSC INDUSTRIAL DIRECT (MSM) a BUY. This is based on the convergence of positive investment measures, which should help this stock outperform the majority of stocks that we rate. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, expanding profit margins, good cash flow from operations and increase in stock price during the past year. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income."
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: MSM Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV