PALO ALTO, Calif., April 9, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Lockheed Martin [NYSE:LMT] and the University of Arizona have delivered the primary imaging instrument of the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) to NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center. The new Near Infrared Camera, or NIRCam, has been successfully integrated within the heart of the telescope, known as the Integrated Science Instrument Module (ISIM). The integration completes the suite of four instruments that together will explore the mysteries of the deep universe upon launch in 2018.
NIRCam will function as the central imaging component of JWST. Designated one of the NASA's three highest mission priorities, the Webb telescope is a joint project of NASA, the European Space Agency and the Canadian Space Agency.
NIRCam was designed, built, and tested by a University of Arizona / Lockheed Martin team at the company's Advanced Technology Center in Palo Alto, Calif., under the leadership of Principal Investigator Marcia Rieke, a Regents' Professor at the Arizona Department of Astronomy/Steward Observatory. Lockheed Martin is responsible for the optical, mechanical, structural, thermal and electronic precision mechanisms and the control software of NIRCam, while its advanced infrared detector arrays come from Teledyne Imaging Systems.
"Integration of NIRCam into ISIM is a major step forward in the progress of the Webb telescope," said Jeff Vanden Beukel, Lockheed Martin NIRCam program director. "Now, NIRCam and the other instruments will be tested to prove their ability to function as a unit."As the space telescope's prime camera, NIRCam will make JWST the most powerful space telescope ever built, enabling it to peer deeper into space and further back in time than any other instrument before. With its 6.5-meter (21-foot) mirror, JWST will allow observation of the most distant objects in the universe.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV