Comcast today announced it has surpassed one million Wi-Fi hotspots across the nation. The company’s Xfinity WiFi network, the largest in the U.S., allows customers to connect more devices and do more online, in more places and at any time.
“We want our customers to have Wi-Fi access to the Internet, wherever they are,” said Marcien Jenckes, Executive Vice President of Consumer Services for Comcast Cable. “Speed, reliability and accessibility on any device, are all important to our customers and we are committed to grow our hotspots to keep ahead of the rise in user demand.”
According to a recent report from Cisco Systems, Wi-Fi and mobile-connected devices will generate 68 percent of Internet traffic by 2017. At this pace, it is expected that U.S. consumers will download and upload more data on their smartphones or tablets in 2018 than they did on their laptops in 2013.
The Xfinity WiFi network is growing to support these trends in the following ways:
- Outdoor Hotspots: Comcast has placed Xfinity WiFi hotspots in public locations across the country, ranging from shopping centers and commuter stations to parks, sporting venues, beaches and boardwalks. Cities include San Francisco, Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia, Washington, D.C., and Atlanta as well as areas of New Jersey, Maryland, Virginia and Delaware.
- Business Hotspots: Most Comcast Business Internet customers are eligible to receive an Xfinity WiFi hotspot for no additional charge when they order service. This is a value-added feature that directly improves their patrons’ experience. Examples include restaurants, cafes and bakeries, retail establishments and office waiting rooms.
- Neighborhood Hotspots: Recently, Comcast began providing residential customers with Xfinity Wireless Gateways the ability to have a second “xfinitywifi” signal (or SSID) in their home that is separate and distinct from their private and secure home Wi-Fi signal. This additional access point provides Xfinity Internet subscribers with a Wi-Fi signal without the need to share a homeowner’s private network password. This service is included at no additional charge.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts