CNBC's John Jannarone said hedge funds may be exacerbating the selloff in certain stocks because many firms are usually long similar companies. When the firms all sell out of their positions, it hurts the stocks much more than what's reflected in the broader market. Of course, this can create buying opportunities too, but usually in more quality stocks, he concluded.
Adami said the biotech sector has sold off to the point where it's almost time for investors to buy.
David Trainer, managing partner of Novo Capital, said Netflix (NFLX) should be trading at $100 per share, based on its fundamentals. He pointed out the company grew revenue 17% last year while expenses increased 23%. He argued the stock has finally lost momentum and looks to be headed lower.
Kelly said it's hard to short-sell momentum stocks after they have already had a big selloff.
Carter Braxton Worth, chief market technician at Sterne Agee said the S&P 500 could pull back to the range of 1,520 to 1,675. He argued that the broader market is just beginning to roll over and more pain is on the way. He suggested the rotation into low-valuation stocks will eventually stop but the selling will continue, driving down the indices.
Kelly advised investors not to be afraid of buying stocks if there is a 10% to 15% pullback. Seymour reminded investors the economy is still doing well and the industrial and materials sectors remain strong.
Whole Foods Markets (WFM) dropped 4% and was the first stock on the show's "Pops & Drops" segment. Grasso said investors could take a small position in the stock with a stop-loss at $49. Rite-Aid (RAD) popped 8%. Kelly said investors should take profits.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV