NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Bed Bath & Beyond (BBBY) is falling after releasing earnings. "This was just a bad miss," TheStreet's Jim Cramer, co-manager of the Action Alerts PLUS portfolio, said on CNBC's "Cramer's Mad Dash" segment Thursday.
The company reported comparable-store sales growth of 1.7%, disappointing analysts who were looking for around 3.5% growth.
Cramer said Bed Bath & Beyond appears to be "search for meaning," and is not executing as well as it should be.
Pier 1 Imports (PIR), on the other hand, beat on top- and bottom-line estimates and is higher in Thursday's trading session.Cramer called CEO Alex Smith one of his "Bankable 21" CEOs, but admitted that the last several quarters have been disappointing. However, he complimented Smith's execution and said the company's online rollout looks good. The stock could climb to $22 or $23 if Pier 1 can obtain mid-single-digit comp sales growth and have success with its online products, Cramer concluded.
-- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV