We're Stressed Out But Not Taking Vacations
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The nation's workers are stressed out despite an improving economy and taking less and less vacation time, even though they need it to relax and recharge.
According to a November report from Towers Watson, "stress is the number one workplace issue" for employees, ranking ahead of issues such as obesity or inactivity.
Despite that, only 15% of U.S. employers consider stress-relief programs to be a top priority, the study states.
"Employees seem to be saying, 'Support me, pay me and direct me,' but employers are focused on other stress factors," says Shelly Wolff, a senior health care consultant at Towers Watson. "Stress has a strong link to physical health, emotional health, personal purpose and community -- all contributing factors to workplace performance. Employers that fail to understand employees' views on stress risk are diverting time and resources to fixing the wrong problems and, at the same time, alienating employees."That's where a second study comes in. survey from Glassdoor, a job search firm based in Sausalito, Calif. Most workers can't even take a clean break from their jobs while away on vacation. Glassdoor says 61% of employees surveyed admit to taking work with them to the beach, mountains or other vacation destination. Younger workers are especially antsy, with 20% saying they use vacation time to interview for another job. "It's clear the word vacation among employers and employees doesn't mean what it did," says Rusty Rueff, a workplace expert at Glassdoor.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV