NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Aeropostale (ARO - Get Report) is dropping in extended trading Tuesday after Piper Jaffray downgraded the stock to "neutral" from "overweight." The firm decreased its price target to $13 from $15.
Shares are down 2.2% to $5 after the bell.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Growth Stocks
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Specialty Retail industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 10377.8% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$0.67 million to -$70.31 million.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Specialty Retail industry and the overall market, AEROPOSTALE INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for AEROPOSTALE INC is currently extremely low, coming in at 12.97%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -10.49% is significantly below that of the industry average.
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 60.57%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 8900.00% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Turning toward the future, the fact that the stock has come down in price over the past year should not necessarily be interpreted as a negative; it could be one of the factors that may help make the stock attractive down the road. Right now, however, we believe that it is too soon to buy.
- AEROPOSTALE INC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, AEROPOSTALE INC swung to a loss, reporting -$1.82 versus $0.43 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings (-$1.71 versus -$1.82).
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: ARO Ratings Report