WASHINGTON, April 8, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- The National LGBT Bar Association, BNY Mellon and White & Case LLP, announced a first of its kind Online LGBT Tax Resource today, at LGBTBar.org/tax, to help same-sex couples and their tax advisors navigate state tax laws. The resource is a unique tool for both tax preparers and payers, providing a comprehensive, state-by-state list of reporting regulations for LGBT couples.
Tax law remains one of the most complex and nuanced issues impacting the LGBT community, especially in states where couples are not allowed to file married tax returns. Following the Supreme Court's decision invalidating the federal Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), couples are now eligible to file married federal returns. In 33 states, however, those same couples cannot file joint state returns. In response, the Online LGBT Tax Resource was developed to ensure families are equipped with the most up-to-date tax information for their home state.
"The end of the federal DOMA was a giant step forward for couples, but state laws continue to legally discriminate against many families," said D'Arcy Kemnitz, executive director of The LGBT Bar. "The Online LGBT Tax Resource unveiled today will ensure couples can maximize state tax laws, and the repeal of DOMA, as they navigate what is often a very confusing area for LGBT families. The Resource is designed to ensure they, and their tax preparers and attorneys, have reliable, trust-worthy information."
Among the information provided at the site, are key areas such as:
- A recap of states' rules concerning same-sex marriage and the impact on state income tax in clear and concise language
- Individual state guidance for married same-sex taxpayers
- Information on litigation, and legislation, that could impact LGBT tax law; and
- Up-to-date information from states' departments of revenue, and state constitutions.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV