After the initial announcement of the data breach in December, shares of Target continued to trade higher, reaching $64.17 on Jan. 2. After additional details were released and the possibility of a second breach, TGT shares sold off by nearly 14%. By Feb. 24 the stock cratered at $55.44.
Two days later, before the markets opened, the company released its fourth-quarter and full-year 2013 earnings report. Target's year-over-year quarterly EPS was $1.30, at the high end of the updated guidance the company provided in January. The company's full-year 2013 adjusted EPS of $4.38 was down 8% from $4.76 in 2012, but wasn't as bad as analysts had expected.
On the day of the earnings report volume nearly quadrupled to over 24 million shares and the stock closed up more than 7% from the closing price the day before. Since then shares have traded in a narrow range between $58.60 and $62.26. At the high end of that range the dividend yield is about 2.76%, still barely higher than the 10-year Treasury yield of 2.7% as of April 9.
A useful one-year chart shows both the annual price range for Target's stock and the quarterly revenue per share picture. If the share price follows the direction of revenue (orange line) I'm anticipating a realistic one-year price target of at least $65.
TGT data by YCharts
This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff. Google+
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV