NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- It's hard to think of a worse setback than the negative press Target
(TGT) received when debit and credit card information was hacked from its database. But now, months later, some bright spots are helping the retailer's stock to rebound.
Shares, currently trading around $61, are down 11% for the year to date and down 3% for the past 52 weeks.
Popular stocks like TGT that yield nearly 3% or more I call "bond equivalent stocks," or BES. Lately, investors have been clamoring for BES companies with dividend yields higher the 10-year Treasury bond. This rotation has happened while speculative, high-price-to-earnings stocks have been correcting.
Other BES companies include Procter & Gamble (PG), Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) and technology dividend dominator Intel (INTC). As the following one-month chart of PG illustrates, the demand for BES equities has been ebullient.
PG data by YCharts
Concerning Target, in spite of the negative press about the database breach, investors have been buying its shares as a BES, too, especially when the stock price drops low enough to lift the dividend yield closer to 3%. With an annual dividend of $1.72 per share, when Target's stock price drops below $60 it creates that desired yield. And there's more to Target than just an attractive dividend.
The nation's second-largest discount retailer is using innovations and customer awareness to keep traffic flowing to its stores. It's offering specialty products like organic and natural foods, and promotions like the chance to buy Samsung's
(SSNLF) Galaxy 5 for only $100. This is a big discount on Samsung's star smartphone as a recent article in TheStreet pointed out.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV