BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- Want to outperform in April? Then utility stocks are your best bet.
No, that's not a misprint. Utility stocks have taken performance leadership in 2014.That makes sense for two big reasons: First, boring utility stocks have been offering the opposite of the hefty valuations in the momentum names that have been selling off in March and April, and second, Janet Yellen's cooling down of the Fed's interest rate hike talk bodes well for high-yielding utility stock values. Ever since the new Fed Chairman calmed interest rate fears at the end of March, investors have been unloading former momentum leaders in favor of utility stocks. She's the one who flipped the switch. >>3 Huge Stocks on Traders' Radars "Don't fight the Fed" is pretty good advice right here. Instead, we're turning to big trades from the utility sector to protect from downside in April. Today, we'll take a technical look at five of them. For the unfamiliar, technical analysis is a way for investors to quantify qualitative factors, such as investor psychology, based on a stock's price action and trends. Once the domain of cloistered trading teams on Wall Street, technicals can help top traders make consistently profitable trades and can aid fundamental investors in better planning their stock execution. >>5 Toxic Stocks to Sell Now Without further ado, let's take a look at five technical setups worth trading now.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV