NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Investors focus a lot of attention on the biggest U.S. banks, but they shouldn't overlook smaller so-called super-regional banks such as Fifth Third Bank (FITB) and KeyBank (KEY).
It's true that the top four money center banks (JPMorgan Chase (JPM), Bank of America (BAC), Citigroup (C) and Wells Fargo (WFC) control 54% of the total U.S. banking assets.
Yet the U.S.-based retail super-regional banks listed below account for more than $2 trillion in assets.
The super-regional banks also saw total assets increase by 2.7% during 2013, triple the 0.9% rate of the money center banks.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV