Given the drama that surrounds rivals such as JPMorgan Chase (JPM) and Citigroup (C), Blankenhorn's description of Wells Fargo is appropriate, but when it comes to Wells Fargo's operational results, the bank is a hot ticket.
Wells Fargo's management has produced loan growth, diversified the company's business and maintained its standing as the No. 1 mortgage originator in the U.S. That, along with strong expense controls, helped Wells Fargo increase earnings by 10% in the fourth quarter, despite a 6% decline in revenue. The bank has also passed the Federal Reserve's stress test.
On Friday, the bank will report first-quarter results before the market opens. Investors should expect another "boring" performance, which means they will be laughing all the way to the bank. Analysts estimate the company will report earnings of 96 cents a share, up from earnings of 92 cents a share a year ago. Revenue is expected to be $20.59 billion, down 3.2%.
Shares of Wells -- trading recently at $48.54, down 12 cents -- are up 7% this year.
Wells' profit has been helped by lower expenses. It reduced its workforce by more than 6,000 in the second half of last year, helping it end the year with an efficiency ratio (a measure of expenses to revenue) of 58.5%, down from 58.8%, a year earlier. For banks, the lower efficiency ratio, the better.
Also, in the fourth quarter, average assets -- or assets that produce income -- increased 9%, helping Wells offset the effects of low interest rates.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV