Northern Trust donated nearly $14 million in corporate contributions last year, and employees reported volunteering approximately 120,000 hours in support of not-for-profit organizations around the world. The corporation invested 1.3 percent of annual pre-tax profits into the communities in which its employees work and live, which places Northern Trust among the top financial institutions and exceeds most Fortune 500 companies, according to Giving in Numbers: 2013 Edition by CECP, in association with The Conference Board.
Northern Trust’s approach to community involvement is holistic and takes into account a range of community needs. The Northern Trust Charitable Trust made $4.6 million in grants in 2013, with more than a quarter of that directed toward general operating support, a scarce resource in today’s giving environment. Another 45 percent was allocated to capital and endowment campaigns, allowing organizations to build their capacity and community impact. Northern Trust also provided sponsorship support, in-kind donations, skills-based volunteering, board leadership, disaster relief and employee matching gifts.
“As Northern Trust approaches its 125 th anniversary this year, we are proud to uphold the same culture of caring that our founders established so many years ago,” Northern Trust Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Frederick H. Waddell said. “Our approach to supporting the community is much like our approach to serving clients. We know success lies in building strong relationships that offer a scope of resources and expertise – financial, intellectual and otherwise.”
The company’s corporate giving and community involvement programs emphasize the value of creating innovative and lasting partnerships in achieving common goals. Examples of new partnerships and programs established in 2013 include:
- Proprietary Board Training Program: Northern Trust and the not-for-profit Executive Service Corps launched a unique program to train and develop 40 senior employees in their volunteer roles as not-for-profit board members.
- Anti-Violence Initiative: Northern Trust joined other corporate and community leaders to found Get In Chicago, a coordinated plan to reduce violence amongst the city’s highest risk populations.
- Empowering Women in Luxembourg: Northern Trust was a corporate sponsor in support of two employees’ efforts to found Dress for Success Luxembourg, a new branch of the New York-based organization that promotes economic independence for disadvantaged women.
- Clean Water for Children in Need : Northern Trust expanded upon a U.S. relationship by supporting SOS Children’s Villages of India and its construction of a new well to alleviate a water shortage on the campus. Employees from the Bangalore office also participated in a 10k race to raise funds and awareness for the organization’s work with orphan and abandoned children in South India.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts