Both stocks shot higher on Monday's announcement, said TheStreet's Cramer, co-manager of the Action Alerts PLUS portfolio. However, it didn't take long for Mallinckrodt shares to start falling to almost $55 by noon on Monday. Eventually the stock closed near $61. Shares are now up slightly to $62.
"People hate this deal," Cramer said. Questcor is under investigation by the Department of Justice for its promotional practices. It is seen as a one-product company, making it difficult for Mallinckrodt investors to understand why the need to make this acquisition, he added.
Cramer spoke with Mark Trudeau, president and CEO of Mallinckrodt, on Monday's Mad Money and the executive argued Questcor is a great acquisition. Cramer said Trudeau made clear his company did its due diligence on Questcor regarding its promotional practices, and everything checks out just fine.
During the program Cramer said that with this deal Mallinckrodt is "incredibly inexpensive."
-- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV