NEW YORK (TheStreet) --Shares of Genworth Financial Inc. (GNW) are lower today by 5.0% to $16.92 following news the financial security company is being sued in a class action suit known officially as City of Hialeah Employees' Retirement System v. Genworth Financial, Inc. et al.
The suit was filed in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York.
The lawsuit has been brought over "allegedly false and misleading statements" made between February and April of 2012.
The lawsuit alleges that Genworth misled investors about the company's outlook for its Australian mortgage insurance unit and the ability to move forward with an IPO.Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Growth Stocks STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings team rates GENWORTH FINANCIAL INC as a Buy with a ratings score of B. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate GENWORTH FINANCIAL INC (GNW) a BUY. This is driven by some important positives, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, impressive record of earnings per share growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, notable return on equity and compelling growth in net income. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows weak operating cash flow." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 27.27% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 93.11% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, GNW should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- GENWORTH FINANCIAL INC has improved earnings per share by 27.3% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, GENWORTH FINANCIAL INC increased its bottom line by earning $1.15 versus $0.55 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.44 versus $1.15).
- Despite the weak revenue results, GNW has outperformed against the industry average of 13.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 2.1%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- Despite currently having a low debt-to-equity ratio of 0.52, it is higher than that of the industry average, inferring that management of debt levels may need to be evaluated further.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Insurance industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, GENWORTH FINANCIAL INC underperformed against that of the industry average and is significantly less than that of the S&P 500.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: GNW Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts