BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- Friday's market session was a shot across the bow for investors: If you still own the momentum names that have worked so well for the last several months, you risk getting sunk.
Anxiety has been ramping up in stocks ever since the Fed spilled the beans that rates could start stair-stepping higher in the near-term. The end of quantitative easing is one thing, but ending the free money party brought on by zero interest rates was quite another. So despite some backpedaling from Janet Yellen at the end of March, the cracks are showing in the market internals right now.And the biggest victims have been the momentum stocks. Want to position yourself for a upside in April? It makes sense to shed the weakening names in your portfolio and pick up strength; to do that, we're turning to a brand new set of "Rocket Stocks" for this week. For the uninitiated, "Rocket Stocks" are our list of companies with short-term gain catalysts and longer-term growth potential. To find them, I run a weekly quantitative screen that seeks out stocks with a combination of analyst upgrades and positive earnings surprises to identify rising analyst expectations, a bullish signal for stocks in any market. After all, where analysts' expectations are increasing, institutional cash often follows. In the last 243 weeks, our weekly list of five plays has outperformed the S&P 500 by 81.06%. >>5 Toxic Stocks to Sell Now Without further ado, here's a look at this week's Rocket Stocks.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV