Today's Dead Cat Bounce Stock: Novavax (NVAX)
Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.Trade-Ideas LLC identified Novavax (NVAX) as a "dead cat bounce" (down big yesterday but up big today) candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Novavax as such a stock due to the following factors:
- NVAX has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $23.3 million.
- NVAX has traded 1.2 million shares today.
- NVAX is up 3.9% today.
- NVAX was down 6.4% yesterday.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in NVAX with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for NVAX NOW at Trade-IdeasMore details on NVAX: Novavax, Inc., a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company, focuses on developing recombinant protein nanoparticle vaccines to address a range of infectious diseases. Currently there are 4 analysts that rate Novavax a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and none rate it a hold.The average volume for Novavax has been 5.0 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Novavax has a market cap of $913.6 million and is part of the health care sector and drugs industry. The stock has a beta of 1.17 and a short float of 19.6% with 4.24 days to cover. Shares are down 20.1% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday.STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.TheStreetRatings.com Analysis:TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Novavax as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its deteriorating net income, weak operating cash flow and feeble growth in its earnings per share.Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Biotechnology industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 74.9% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$8.04 million to -$14.05 million.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$12.26 million or 199.82% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- NOVAVAX INC's earnings per share declined by 16.7% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, NOVAVAX INC reported poor results of -$0.31 versus -$0.22 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings (-$0.30 versus -$0.31).
- Current return on equity exceeded its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of strength within the company. Compared to other companies in the Biotechnology industry and the overall market, NOVAVAX INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for NOVAVAX INC is currently very high, coming in at 81.16%. It has increased significantly from the same period last year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of -160.65% is in-line with the industry average.
- You can view the full Novavax Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV