This Day On The Street
Continue to site
This account is pending registration confirmation. Please click on the link within the confirmation email previously sent you to complete registration.
Need a new registration confirmation email? Click here

Mallinckrodt Grabs Questcor for $5.6B, Sends Shares Surging

NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Questcor Pharmaceuticals (QCOR) surged more than 30% before market open on Monday after it announced a $5.6 billion deal to be acquired by Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals (MNK - Get Report).

Questcor shares, which have gained 115.46% over the last 12 months, climbed 30.71% to $88.71 in premarket trading. Shares of Dublin-based Mallinckrodt were also rising, gaining 7.49% to $67.20.

Under the terms of the deal, Questcor shareholders will receive $30 in cash and 0.897 a Mallinckrodt share for each share of Questcor common stock they own.

Based on the company's closing prices on April 4, the deal represents a price of approximately $27 per share and a premium of approximately 33% over Questcor's trailing 20-trading-day volume-weighted average price.

In a joint statement by the companies released early on Monday, Mallinckrodt said that the combined company will benefit from increased scale, revenue, profitability and cash flow.

The deal comes hot on the heels of Mallinckrodt's $4.1 billion acquisition of Cadence Pharmaceuticals, which it completed last month.

Must Read: Laclede's $1.6B Alagasco Deal Expands Utility Beyond Missouri

"With Questcor, combined with our recently completed acquisition of Cadence Pharmaceuticals, the new Mallinckrodt will have a significant, established presence with prescribers, payers and hospitals," said Mallinckrodt CEO Mark Trudeau, in the statement. "We will also have an increasingly diversified specialty pharmaceuticals portfolio, which will include novel therapeutics for pain management, as well as central nervous system, renal, rheumatologic and other autoimmune and inflammatory disorders."

Mallinckrodt highlighted, in particular, Questcor's H.P. Acthar Gel, which it said will be a strong complement to its own OFIRMEV, EXALGO and XARTEMIS XR offerings. Sales of Acthar, which is used to treat multiple sclerosis relapses, were $761.3 million in calendar 2013, a 49.6% hike on the prior year.

The transaction is expected to close in the third quarter. Once the merger is completed, Mallinckrodt shareholders will own approximately 50.5% of the combined company, with Questcor shareholders owning approximately the remaining 49.5%.

According to its statement, Mallinckrodt expects the deal to be "immediately accretive" to its fiscal year 2014 adjusted diluted earnings per share, and "significantly accretive" to its fiscal year 2015 adjusted diluted earnings per share.

Trudeau will lead the combined company, and Mallinckrodt plans to increase its board to 12 members once the deal closes, with the addition of three directors from Questcor.

-- Written by James Rogers in New York.

>Contact by Email.

Check Out Our Best Services for Investors

Action Alerts PLUS

Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.

Product Features:
  • $2.5+ million portfolio
  • Large-cap and dividend focus
  • Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Quant Ratings

Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.

Product Features:
  • Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
  • Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
  • A custom stock screener
Stocks Under $10

David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.

Product Features:
  • Model portfolio
  • Stocks trading below $10
  • Intraday trade alerts
14-Days Free
Only $9.95
14-Days Free
Dividend Stock Advisor

David Peltier identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.

Product Features:
  • Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
  • Updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
Trifecta Stocks

Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutiny—quantitative, fundamental and technical analysis—to maximize profit potential and minimize risk.

Product Features:
  • Model Portfolio
  • Intra Day Trade alerts
  • Access to Quant Ratings
Real Money

More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.

Product Features:
  • Access to Jim Cramer's daily blog
  • Intraday commentary and news
  • Real-time trading forums
Only $49.95
14-Days Free
14-Days Free
MNK $63.04 -3.20%
QCOR $93.60 1.65%
AAPL $95.01 0.00%
FB $99.51 -0.24%
GOOG $677.65 -0.75%


Chart of I:DJI
DOW 16,014.38 -12.67 -0.08%
S&P 500 1,852.21 -1.23 -0.07%
NASDAQ 4,268.7630 -14.99 -0.35%

Free Reports

Top Rated Stocks Top Rated Funds Top Rated ETFs