Frontier Communications (NASDAQ:FTR) recently announced that the company’s three years of capital expenditures in New York hit a total of $326.1 million, including approximately $80 million in 2013.
In addition to Frontier’s own capital expenditures, many Frontier markets in New York will benefit from additional support totaling $8.1 million from the Federal Communications Commission’s Connect America Fund (CAF). CAF funding will allow Frontier to accelerate broadband availability and increase speeds in some of its very rural New York markets. Frontier offers broadband, digital phone service, satellite television service, Frontier satellite broadband, FTR Energy Services, customer premises equipment (telephone systems, support for commercial businesses and e-911 applications), Ethernet, Dedicated Internet Access, commercial cloud based voice solutions, data center services, and web security/data back-up/personal identity protection and more through Frontier Secure.
Frontier invested $326.1 million of its own capital during the past three years, with significant funding supporting engineering initiatives to increase broadband access and improve network infrastructure across the company’s 38-county New York territory. This investment is vital to continuing economic development, increasing opportunities for consumers, and supporting all types and sizes of businesses in the state.
“The impact of our investments in New York is felt throughout the communities we serve,” said Kevin Smith, Senior Vice President and General Manager of Frontier’s New York operations. “Our powerful network, driven by our dedicated teams who are residents and experts about the needs of their communities, is delivering solid benefits to our customers and shareholders. Our team is hitting their stride in New York, and there is more to come.”Frontier’s operational and community-related highlights for New York in 2013 include:
- Equipment upgrades to 13 Central New York switching offices and 97 remote locations. As a result, at year-end 2013, Frontier was able to offer faster broadband speeds to essentially 493,000 New York households.
- Expansion of Frontier’s Ethernet network within the company’s rural territories, providing customers access for circuits up to 1 Gbps. Customers located in Fulton, Montgomery, Hamilton, Jefferson, Lewis, Oneida, Chenango, Madison, Delaware and Clinton counties will benefit from the build-out, which is anticipated to be completed by mid-2014.
- For Upstate New York, the awarding of a New York State Broadband Grant to Frontier and Hamilton County to upgrade the data transport backbone between Gloversville and Eagle Bay, with Phase 1 of transport and equipment upgrades completed in 2013. As a result, Frontier is able to offer speeds up to 40 Mbps to residents and businesses working out of the enhanced sites. Phase 2 will expand coverage to 17 additional remote switches within the county, with anticipated completion in mid-2015.
- The completion of a major upgrade to Frontier’s Layer 2 Metro-Ethernet network in the Rochester market. This upgrade ensures capacity to existing and future customers requesting 5 to 100 Mbps services.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV