By David Russell of OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Pitney Bowes (PBI) has broken a long-term resistance, and option traders are betting that it will keep ripping higher.
OptionMonster's tracking programs detected the purchase of 5,000 January 30 calls for $1.80 and the sale of 5,000 January 25 calls for $3.80 on Friday. Volume was below open interest at the lower strike, which suggests that a long position was closed and rolled to the higher strike.
Long calls lock in the price where a stock can be bought, letting investors cheaply position for gains while limiting the amount of capital at risk. They can also generate significant leverage if a rally ensues. Rolling to the January 30s allows the trader to receive a credit of $2 while keeping him exposed to further gains.Pitney Bowes' shares fell 0.22% to $26.98 on Friday and are pushing above their previous highs from 2010 and 2011. Traditionally a maker of snail-mail postage meters, the company has been reinventing itself as a provider of communications products and services. The stock has more than doubled since bottoming near $10 early last year. Overall option volume was eight times greater than average in the session, with calls accounting for a bullish three-quarters of the total. Russell has no positions in PBI.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV