NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Very brutal end to last week. It couldn't have been permeated with more mixed signals and divergences.
The S&P 500
Let me start off by saying there was nothing bullish about what happened on Friday. This market is screaming that there is trouble ahead. I am not calling a top by any means and I actually do not think we have reached "the top," but I think that a correction (likely deeper than anything we have seen in in over a year) is looming. Having said that, I wouldn't start shorting everything at the start of this week as markets typically don't go straight down and there will be bounces along the way.
Furthermore, earning season begins this week and analysts have lowered expectations among many companies recently. Therefore, we may see upside surprises that will separate the good from the bad. Some stocks will see new money flow while others will experience mass exodus.Assessing The Damage: The S&P 500, which has been doing a fine job masking the damage being down to the rest of the market, is now below the 10-day moving average (MA) and just a hair away from being below the 20-day MA. More significantly, we had a failed breakout finally confirming what the rest of the market has been signaling. The Dow Jones Industrial Average has also been masking the damage, but I am less concerned there and rightly or wrongly, don't heed much attention to the DOW theory, which I wrote about here). We are below the 10-, 20-, 50- and 100-day MAs on the PowerShares (QQQ), which tracks the Nasdaq 100 Index, and that I deem a better indicator regarding the overall health of the market than the S&P 500. We are below the 10-, 20- and 50-day MAs on the iShares Russell 2000 (IWM), which tracks the Russell 2000 Index.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV