NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Amazon (AMZN) fell 3.25% to $322.78, down $10.84 from its previous close of $333.62, at the close of trading on Friday after the Nasdaq (QQQ) and tech stocks in particular were hit hard throughout the day.
One factor driving down the Nasdaq was the March jobs report, which stated that employers added 192,000 jobs in the U.S. during the month thanks to better weather; but the unemployment rate stayed the same because more people were looking for jobs.
Investors also turned on tech stocks on Friday, which sent companies such as Amazon, Facebook (FB) and Netflix (NFLX), among others, into dives. The Nasdaq dropped off 2.66% by the close of trading to lose last week's gains and hit a two-month low.
Amazon had a range of $315.61 to $335.41 for the day and $245.75 to $408.06 for the year. More than 11.3 million shares changed hands, well above the average volume of 3,993,650.Must Read: Jim Cramer: Looks Like 2000 Is in Play STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings team rates AMAZON.COM INC as a "hold" with a ratings score of C. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate AMAZON.COM INC (AMZN) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed - some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, impressive record of earnings per share growth and compelling growth in net income. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including generally higher debt management risk and poor profit margins." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 8.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 20.3%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- AMAZON.COM INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. We feel that this trend should continue. This trend suggests that the performance of the business is improving. During the past fiscal year, AMAZON.COM INC turned its bottom line around by earning $0.58 versus -$0.10 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.97 versus $0.58).
- The gross profit margin for AMAZON.COM INC is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 30.26%. Regardless of AMZN's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 0.93% trails the industry average.
- AMZN's debt-to-equity ratio of 0.71 is somewhat low overall, but it is high when compared to the industry average, implying that the management of the debt levels should be evaluated further. Despite the fact that AMZN's debt-to-equity ratio is mixed in its results, the company's quick ratio of 0.67 is low and demonstrates weak liquidity.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: AMZN Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV