Our fans have spoken! After a passionate debate on the MONOPOLY Facebook page where fans around the world weighed the pros and cons of their favorite “House Rules,” Hasbro has announced the top five ‘House Rules’ that will be featured in future MONOPOLY games. They are:
- Free Parking, Fast Cash - All taxes and fees will be collected in the middle of the game board, if you land on Free Parking, it’s your lucky day: collect all the money from the middle of the board.
- Dash for the Cash - Landed on Go! Amazing, you get to double your salary – 400M dollars instead of 200M Dollars.
- Frozen Assets Rule - When in jail, a player cannot collect any rent money from other players. Sorry about your luck.
- See the Sights - Players must travel around the board one complete time before they can begin buying properties. Hurry up and get to GO before everyone else!
- Lucky Roller: Did you just Roll Snake Eyes (double ones)… odds are in your favor, collect 500M Dollars.
The Great MONOPOLY ‘House Rules’ Debate was held on the Monopoly Facebook page from March 25 to April 3 and called on the brand’s more than 11.4 million global Facebook fans to debate ten ‘House Rules’ including a rule that said mom can always get out of jail free and another that said that players who roll ‘double ones’ collect 500 MONOPOLY dollars. The rules chosen for the debate were crowd-sourced globally on the MONOPOLY Facebook page earlier this year.
“Whether fans were ‘for’ a rule or ‘against’ it, or felt that players should only play by official MONOPOLY rules, it was great to see the passionate debate from our fans around the world about ‘House Rules’,” said Jonathan Berkowitz, vice president of marketing at Hasbro. “We’re looking forward to incorporating long-time favorite ‘House Rules’ like Free Parking, Fast Cash and Dash for the Cash into the MONOPOLY game for the very first time.”
Fans will find the top five ‘House Rules’ in The MONOPOLY: House Rules edition game which will be available on store shelves in select markets this fall. The game will include special gold-colored houses and cards that feature the top ‘House Rules.’ The chosen rules will also be included in the classic MONOPOLY game guide beginning in 2015. While the official MONOPOLY rules will not change, fans who love playing with ‘House Rules’ will now have the option to play them in their game.