NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- JP Morgan Chase
(JPM) stock was upgraded to "outperform" from "neutral" by Macquarie analysts on Friday. The firm raised the company's price target to $68 from $62.
JP Morgan shares were up 0.8% to $61.16 in premarket trading Friday.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Growth Stocks
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Macquarie upgraded its rating due to the fact that larger institutions in the sector are trading higher and JP Morgan may see a bump due to sector rotation.
"Moreover, larger domestic plays such as Bank of America (BAC) & Wells Fargo (WFC) also appear rich, trading at 11.5x and 12.4x, respectively. As a result, we are upgrading the shares to Outperform from Neutral, as we believe JPM may benefit from a sector rotation as one of the cheapest ways to play this theme," Macquarie said in its note.
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates JPMORGAN CHASE & CO as a Buy with a ratings score of B+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate JPMORGAN CHASE & CO (JPM) a BUY. This is driven by a few notable strengths, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, expanding profit margins and attractive valuation levels. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, JPM's share price has jumped by 25.43%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, JPM should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- The gross profit margin for JPMORGAN CHASE & CO is currently very high, coming in at 90.17%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 21.09% is above that of the industry average.
- Regardless of the drop in revenue, the company managed to outperform against the industry average of 11.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 4.4%. The declining revenue appears to have seeped down to the company's bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- JPMORGAN CHASE & CO's earnings per share declined by 6.5% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has suffered a declining pattern of earnings per share over the past year. However, we anticipate this trend reversing over the coming year. During the past fiscal year, JPMORGAN CHASE & CO reported lower earnings of $4.32 versus $5.19 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($5.90 versus $4.32).
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: JPM Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts