By David Russell of OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Anadarko Petroleum (APC) exploded higher Thursday, and traders made a killing from the move.
On Monday, the embattled oil driller was recommended on OptionMonster's Market Action Webinar. Then our Heat Seeker tracking system detected highly bullish option activity the next day, with 10,000 April 90 calls bought for about 50 cents.
The stock moved sideways on Wednesday but surged as much as 16% Thursday after the company announced that it would settle an environmental lawsuit for $5.15 billion. That removed uncertainty from Anadarko, allowing it to participate in a broader rally that's been taking shape in the energy sector.While impressive, the move in the share price was nothing compared with profits of more than 1,300% reaped by holders of those April 90 long calls. Other traders rolled winning positions higher in May calls, selling the 95s for $4.20 and buying the 105s for $2. Yet another investor opened a bullish call spread. This trader waited for a pullback, then bought the May 105s for $1.22 and sold the May 115 calls for 10 cents.. That position will earn 793% on a move to $115 or higher. Overall option volume was 14 times greater than average in the name Thursday. Calls accounted for a bullish 92% of that total. Anadarko shares ended Thursday up 14.51% to a record closing high of $99.02. At one point in the session the stock touched $100 for the first time ever. Russell has no positions in APC.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV