Here's Why the Fed Isn't Hiking Rates Anytime Soon
That's good news for homebuyers and the home sellers looking to move their properties. Low rates mean a wide open real estate market, with more buyers clamoring for more homes. That reduces inventory and allows homes to sell more quickly and for higher prices as demand rises.
But lower interest rates aren't good for bank savers. Checking account rates are mired near zero at 0.046%, unchanged from last week, according to BankingMyWay, and bank certificates of deposit aren't that much stronger. The average two-year CD is returning a paltry 0.329% this week, up slightly from the last week of March.
That's been much the case for the better part of six years now, as the Federal Reserve keeps lending rates near zero percent so credit pipelines stay open and people and businesses go on borrowing.In a March 31 speech at the 2014 National Interagency Community Reinvestment Conference in Chicago, newly minted Federal Reserve Chairwoman Janet Yellen indicated strongly the rate picture would stay the same, leaving bank savers wondering what they have to do to catch a break in this economy. Yellen's speech focused on job creation, a hot-button issue among the electorate. Gallup reports that only 28% of Americans say "it's a good time to look for a job right now," and job creation is regularly at the top of the list of Congressional priorities among Americans. To spur job growth, Yellen acknowledges the plan is to keep interest rates low, boosting the housing market and helping businesses grow.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV