NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Admit it, you want to sound like the smartest person in the office. Whether in a formal meeting or backyard BBQ with co-workers, you are constantly trying to stick out from the pack in the hopes of securing that sweet promotion. I will give you a sample of how I would attack that pursuit of grandeur amongst my financial services crowd.
While they are dissecting the March non-farm payrolls report and its assorted stats that may or may not impact the musings of Fed Chairman Janet Yellen, I am out there looking for off-the-beaten path things that could shape FUTURE non-farm payrolls reports and corporate earnings releases.
Here are three items I have uncovered. Shout out to Google (GOOG) for making this possible.
- First, Google queries related to "luxury goods" have fallen 10% in March while the Dow Jones Industrial Average and S&P 500 have basically been flat. That's particularly weird considering the new, spring styles staring the wealthy in the eyes at Nordstrom (JWN), Michael Kors (KORS), and Saks. Hmm.
- Second, and this will get you thinking if businesses have taken on too much low interest rate-driven risk, Google queries related to "bankruptcy" have risen 12.73% in the past six months compared to a 6.98% Dow gain and a 9.8% S&P 500 increase. Bankruptcy queries had been underperforming both stock indices for the majority of the stock price recovery from March 2009.
- Finally, and on the positive side, craft beer now accounts for 14.3% of the $100 billion that the U.S. spends on beer annually, after a 20% volume increase in 2013. Apparently, there is enough digital cash stored in eBay's (EBAY) PayPal mobile wallet to trade up from Anheuser-Busch InBev's (BUD) Budweiser.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV