BEIJING (TheStreet) -- A Chinese executive often painted by Washington as a sinister Communist may have given his critics more fodder with an essay that's peppered with military references and compares his company to the tortoise who won the race.
Huawei Technologies' chief executive and founder Ren Zhengfei did not say identify the "hare" of his Aesop's Fables analogy, which appears as a "Letter from the CEO" essay with the company's 2013 financial report released this week.
But Ren may have had America in mind. He wrote in the rambling, 4,100-word essay that "surpassing U.S. companies and enjoying the ride" is a goal for the company, which is already the world's largest telecom equipment maker and is expanding into smartphones.
For years Huawei has been effectively barred from American markets by U.S. lawmakers who fear the company's gear could be used for spying. Critics note that Ren is a former People's Liberation Army officer.Ren's Chinese military past apparently inspired a proposal cited in his essay to create a new management scheme based on "major general company commanders."
He also wrote, "Pyramid-styled management was right for mechanized warfare in the past, in which the cannon shot was near and communications systems not advanced.... In modern warfare, however, because powerful long-range weaponry is available, operations are carried out using satellites, broadband, Big Data, missiles, airplanes, aircraft carriers, and a lot more." Privately held Huawei, which reported a 34% jump in year-on-year net profits in 2013 to US3.47 billion, competes globally except in a few countries including the United States and Australia against Sweden's Ericsson (ERIC), Cisco (CSCO) and Alcatel-Lucent (ALU).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV