Trade-Ideas: TD Ameritrade Holding Corporation (AMTD) Is Today's "Water-Logged And Getting Wetter" Stock
Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.Trade-Ideas LLC identified TD Ameritrade Holding Corporation (AMTD) as a "water-logged and getting wetter" (weak stocks crossing below support with today's range greater than 200%) candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified TD Ameritrade Holding Corporation as such a stock due to the following factors:
- AMTD has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $122.3 million.
- AMTD has traded 7.2 million shares today.
- AMTD traded in a range 213% of the normal price range with a price range of $1.81.
- AMTD traded below its daily resistance level (quality: 50 days, meaning that the stock is crossing a resistance level set by the last 50 calendar days. The resistance price is defined by the Price - $0.01 at the time of the signal).
Stocks matching the 'Water-Logged and Getting Wetter' criteria are worthwhile stocks to watch for a variety of factors including historical back testing and volatility. Trade-Ideas targets these opportunities because the stock is exhibiting an unusual behavior while displaying negative price action. In this case, the stock crossed an important inflection point; namely, "support" while at the same time the range of the stock's movement in price is twice its normal size. This large range foreshadows a possible continuation as the stock moves lower.EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in AMTD with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for AMTD NOW at Trade-IdeasMore details on AMTD: TD Ameritrade Holding Corporation provides securities brokerage services and technology-based financial services to retail investors, traders, and independent registered investment advisors (RIAs) in the United States. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 1.4%. AMTD has a PE ratio of 26.0. Currently there are 7 analysts that rate TD Ameritrade Holding Corporation a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 6 rate it a hold.The average volume for TD Ameritrade Holding Corporation has been 3.1 million shares per day over the past 30 days. TD Ameritrade Holding has a market cap of $18.8 billion and is part of the financial sector and financial services industry. The stock has a beta of 1.49 and a short float of 4% with 2.00 days to cover. Shares are up 10.4% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday.STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.TheStreetRatings.com Analysis:TheStreet Quant Ratings rates TD Ameritrade Holding Corporation as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, notable return on equity, expanding profit margins, impressive record of earnings per share growth and compelling growth in net income. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company is trading at a premium valuation based on our review of its current price compared to such things as earnings and book value.Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 7.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 15.3%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Capital Markets industry and the overall market, TD AMERITRADE HOLDING CORP's return on equity exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- TD AMERITRADE HOLDING CORP has improved earnings per share by 29.6% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, TD AMERITRADE HOLDING CORP increased its bottom line by earning $1.22 versus $1.06 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.42 versus $1.22).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500 and greatly outperformed compared to the Capital Markets industry average. The net income increased by 30.6% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $147.00 million to $192.00 million.
- 47.01% is the gross profit margin for TD AMERITRADE HOLDING CORP which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 25.49% is above that of the industry average.
- You can view the full TD Ameritrade Holding Corporation Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV