NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Yahoo! (YHOO - Get Report) dipped 2.14% to $35.85 at 1:08 p.m. on Thursday despite the company's announcement that it would take steps to increase its security to prevent surveillance.
Yahoo! announced it had encrypted online traffic among its data centers, along with emails that used its servers, since the end of March. Furthermore, the company said it would release an encrypted version of its Yahoo! Messenger service in the next few months.
"Hundreds of Yahoos have been working around the clock over the last several months to provide a more secure experience for our users and we want to do even more moving forward. Our goal is to encrypt our entire platform for all users at all times, by default," said Yahoo! chief information security officer Alex Stamos in a post on the company's blog on Wednesday.
Yahoo! CEO Marissa Mayer announced the company's plans to encrypt all of its products in the wake of news that the NSA had been intercepting user data from tech companies, including Yahoo!, without their knowledge.Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Growth Stocks STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings team rates YAHOO INC as a "buy" with a ratings score of B+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate YAHOO INC (YHOO) a BUY. This is driven by multiple strengths, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, increase in net income, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, reasonable valuation levels and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had somewhat disappointing return on equity." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 43.47% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 50.86% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, YHOO should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Internet Software & Services industry average. The net income increased by 27.9% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $272.27 million to $348.19 million.
- Although YHOO's debt-to-equity ratio of 0.08 is very low, it is currently higher than that of the industry average. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 3.30, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- The gross profit margin for YAHOO INC is currently very high, coming in at 83.75%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 27.50% is above that of the industry average.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: YHOO Ratings Report