NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- E*TRADE Financial (ETFC) and TD Ameritrade (AMTD) were falling Thursday was falling 5.1% to $22.50 after competitor Charles Schwab (SCHW) posted a statement on its website condemning high-frequency trading.
E*TRADE was walling 5.1% to $22.50, shares of TD Ameritrade were falling 3.2% to $32.69. Shares of Charles Schwab were falling 0.5% to $27.76.
The statement calls high-frequency trading a "growing cancer that needs to be addressed."
"Schwab serves millions of investors and has been observing the development of high-frequency trading practices over the last few years with great concern," the statement reads. "As we noted in an opinion piece in the Wall Street Journal last summer, high-frequency trading has run amok and is corrupting our capital market system by creating an unleveled playing field for individual investors and driving the wrong incentives for our commodity and equities exchanges. The primary principle behind our markets has always been that no one should carry an unfair advantage. That simple but fundamental principle is being broken."Charles Schwab mentions the new book Flash Boys by Michael Lewis, saying that it shows "the high-frequency trading cancer is deep." The company also mentioned New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman's intention to "continue to shine a light on unseemly practices in the markets." Must read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Growth Stocks STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings team rates E TRADE FINANCIAL CORP as a Buy with a ratings score of B-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate E TRADE FINANCIAL CORP (ETFC) a BUY. This is driven by several positive factors, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its impressive record of earnings per share growth, compelling growth in net income, good cash flow from operations, expanding profit margins and solid stock price performance. Although no company is perfect, currently we do not see any significant weaknesses which are likely to detract from the generally positive outlook." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- E TRADE FINANCIAL CORP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, E TRADE FINANCIAL CORP turned its bottom line around by earning $0.29 versus -$0.39 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.91 versus $0.29).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Capital Markets industry. The net income increased by 131.1% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$186.06 million to $57.86 million.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 144.19% to $228.58 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, E TRADE FINANCIAL CORP has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of 93.28%.
- 44.06% is the gross profit margin for E TRADE FINANCIAL CORP which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 11.41% trails the industry average.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 130.76% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 114.08% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Looking ahead, the stock's sharp rise over the last year has already helped drive it to a level which is relatively expensive compared to the rest of its industry. We feel, however, that other strengths this company displays justify these higher price levels.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: ETFC Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts