Today Kroger (KR) Hits New Lifetime High
Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.Trade-Ideas LLC identified Kroger (KR) as a new lifetime high candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Kroger as such a stock due to the following factors:
- KR has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $174.7 million.
- KR has traded 54,667 shares today.
- KR is trading at a new lifetime high.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in KR with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for KR NOW at Trade-IdeasMore details on KR: The Kroger Co., together with its subsidiaries, operates as a retailer in the United States. The company also manufactures and processes food for sale in its supermarkets. It operates retail food and drug stores, multi-department stores, jewelry stores, and convenience stores. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 1.5%. KR has a PE ratio of 15.4. Currently there are 7 analysts that rate Kroger a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 5 rate it a hold.The average volume for Kroger has been 4.6 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Kroger has a market cap of $22.5 billion and is part of the services sector and retail industry. The stock has a beta of 0.96 and a short float of 2.5% with 2.56 days to cover. Shares are up 10.4% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday.STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.TheStreetRatings.com Analysis:TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Kroger as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance and notable return on equity. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had generally high debt management risk by most measures that we evaluated.Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, KR's share price has jumped by 31.81%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, KR should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- KROGER CO's earnings per share declined by 8.0% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, KROGER CO increased its bottom line by earning $2.90 versus $2.77 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($3.20 versus $2.90).
- Regardless of the drop in revenue, the company managed to outperform against the industry average of 6.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 3.9%. The declining revenue appears to have seeped down to the company's bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- Current return on equity is lower than its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of weakness within the company. Compared to other companies in the Food & Staples Retailing industry and the overall market, KROGER CO's return on equity significantly exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The change in net income from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the Food & Staples Retailing industry average, but is less than that of the S&P 500. The net income has decreased by 8.7% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, dropping from $462.00 million to $422.00 million.
- You can view the full Kroger Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV