For Joe Dougherty, Ford Motor Company’s MyKey® technology is a feature his family’s construction company uses to help keep their drivers safe.
MyKey, a tool that parents of teen drivers can use to encourage safer driving habits, is also an attractive technology for many fleet managers. MyKey debuted as standard equipment on the 2010 Ford Focus; it is now standard on nearly all Ford and Lincoln models.
Dougherty, president of Kentucky-based Louisville Paving Company, said his drivers need to be aware of their surroundings, and must be able to concentrate on busy, noisy construction sites. Thirty of his company’s vehicles are now equipped with MyKey, which allows owners to program a key that can limit a vehicle’s top speed and audio volume, and encourage safety belt use. The technology also routes incoming calls directly to voicemail on paired phones.
Louisville Paving Company, which was started by the Dougherty family in 1949, is a full-service contractor involved in highway and heavy construction. Dougherty plans to purchase more Ford vehicles with MyKey because he wants to put his employees in a position to focus on driving, even when working on unpredictable job sites.“With us, safety is the No. 1 priority,” said Dougherty. “These job sites can be high-risk situations if drivers are distracted by the radio, phone calls or texts.” One of the most recent applications of MyKey technology is the 2014 Ford Transit Connect, which has become popular with businesses for its fuel efficiency and class-leading configuration options. “MyKey has been a great tool for fleet managers, giving them a technology that encourages good driving habits for their employees,” said Megan Gillam, commercial vehicles brand and fleet communications manager for Ford Motor Company. “Many companies have safe driving guidelines for fleet vehicles, and MyKey serves as a reinforcement of some of those basic rules.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV