4 Money-Savvy Ways to Use Your Tax Refund
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- If you're getting a tax return, there's no law that demands you spend it on a trip to Bermuda or for a new set of Ping golf clubs.
TD Ameritrade reports that 61% of Americans say they will either save or invest their tax refund. Another 21% will pay off debt, and 18% say they will use the money to buy "necessities.'
(Taxpayers, by the way, have their own ideas on how the government should spend tax revenues, with 41% favoring spending on education, and 33% saying they want their tax money to go to job creation.)
If you do get a tax refund, you may be better off adjusting your paycheck withholdings so you, and not the federal government, get more use of your money.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV