NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Tesla Motors Inc.
(TSLA - Get Report) shares are up 4.3% to $226.39 in trading Wednesday.
The move higher came after news that Tesla had doubled its typical sales level in Norway during March, making it the number one electronic vehicle automaker in the country.
The company sold 1,493 Model S vehicles in Norway, outpacing second place Nissan Motor Co.'s
(NSANY) Leaf by almost triple the number of electric vehicles sold.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Growth Stocks
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Sales in the first three months of 2014 have already surpassed 2013's totals. Tesla sold 1,991 vehicles in Norway during all of 2013 compared to 2,056 vehicles sold so far this year.
TheStreet Ratings team rates TESLA MOTORS INC as a Hold with a ratings score of C-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate TESLA MOTORS INC (TSLA) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed - some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and solid stock price performance. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the company's profit margins have been poor overall."Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- TSLA's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 5.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 100.8%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is somewhat low, currently at 0.91, and is less than that of the industry average, implying that there has been a relatively successful effort in the management of debt levels. Along with the favorable debt-to-equity ratio, the company maintains an adequate quick ratio of 1.33, which illustrates the ability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Automobiles industry and the overall market, TESLA MOTORS INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for TESLA MOTORS INC is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 31.56%. Despite the low profit margin, it has increased significantly from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, TSLA's net profit margin of -2.64% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: TSLA Ratings Report