WINTER HAVEN, Fla., April 2, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Evansville Western Railway, an affiliate of CSX, today announced the start of operations at the state-of-the-art intermodal terminal located just off State Road 60. Known as the Central Florida Intermodal Logistics Center (ILC), this facility serves as a centralized hub for transportation, logistics and distribution serving Orlando, Tampa and South Florida.
The 318-acre intermodal terminal is surrounded by 930 acres that is planned for development of up to 7.9 million square feet of warehouse distribution centers, light industrial and office facilities. The terminal features five 3,000-foot loading tracks and two 10,000-foot arrival and departure tracks. It's estimated the terminal will process up to 300,000 containers a year.
"The Central Florida ILC will add yet another transportation and logistics capability in a state that's already known for excellent ports, great highways, and extensive railroad connectivity," said Clarence Gooden, Executive Vice President and Chief Commercial Officer at CSX. "The terminal will provide an anchor for economic development in the region and position Florida for future growth while reducing congestion on the highways."
While Evansville Western Railway owns the facility, the terminal is operated by CSX Intermodal Terminals, Inc. with rail service provided by CSX Transportation (CSXT). Containerized freight previously handled at CSX's intermodal terminal in Orlando is immediately being shifted to Winter Haven. CSX will serve the region's intermodal market from the new Central Florida ILC and close its Orlando intermodal terminal. CSXT's Taft yard in Orlando will continue to serve other rail freight needs.The terminal incorporates cutting-edge technology that is efficient, innovative and environmentally friendly. Several of its green technology initiatives include:
- three high-powered electric cranes that minimize noise and emissions;
- solar panels on each building which provide alternative and renewable energy sources;
- high mast exterior lighting using LED (light emitting diodes) to reduce energy consumption and light pollution;
- silver LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification for its administration buildings.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV