NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- I was talking to Jim Cramer today about oil's latest retreat under $100. While oil has become difficult and trendless of late, I told Jim I thought that every drop under $100 represented an opportunity to buy specific American exploration and production companies.
Oil prices moderated on Tuesday with the release of Chinese PMI figures that were again weak, the third month in a row. Add a relief of tensions from the Ukraine and another stockpile build that was largely expected and you saw prices swoon almost $2.
But despite Barron's recent cover story predicting oil prices would fall to $75, I think just the opposite is the case, and we will see continually higher oil prices in 2014 and beyond. That makes American producers of oil a great investment for the long-term.
Two that I particularly like is EOG Resources (EOG), an Eagle Ford shale specialist who is increasing production at a faster pace than just about every other player in the space, and Halcon Resources (HK), a speculative play that has many problems but has recently reported very encouraging results in their area of the Eagle Ford as well.I talk more about oil and the opportunities in U.S. E+Ps with Jim in the video above. At the time of publication the author had a position in EOG. Follow @dan_dicker This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV