Shares of Regions were down 1.33% to $11.10 in mid-morning trading Wednesday. They finished strong Tuesday despite the downgrade, which came about 90 minutes before the close of trading.
Mitchell lowered his recommendation to hold from buy while raising his price target to $11.33 from $11.15 According to his note, the move was primarily driven by outperformance of the Birmingham, Al.,-based bank's shares.
Shares of Regions are up some 40% over the past 12 months, versus a roughly 30% gain for the KBW Bank Index. The index opened lower Wednesday but was roughly flat by mid-morning.
Mitchell argues Regions "remains challenged to accumulate enough new capital to grow the business faster."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV