Gold for June delivery at the COMEX division of the New York Mercantile Exchange was popping $12.70 to $1,292.70 an ounce. The gold price traded as high as $1,294.90 and as low as $1,278.90 an ounce, while the spot price was adding $12, or 0.94%.
"It's the beginning of a new quarter," Graham Leighton, a trader at Marex Spectron, said in a phone interview from New York when asked about the gains. "I thought the market was a little bit too bearish at the end of the quarter."
Gold futures dropped more than $10 on Monday, the last day of the first quarter, and continued to sell off into Tuesday. A large part of the selling in late March resulted from the de-escalation of the crisis in Crimea and the softening of tensions between Russia and Ukraine.Still, some support likely entered the market on Wednesday after India's government said it slashed the tariff on gold imports by 5.39%. This affects the trade because India is one of the largest purchasers of physical gold, and the tariff used to total 10%. Fundamentally, Leighton said it's important to remember that new allocation comes in at the beginning of every quarter, meaning that Wednesday's pop may not suggest a trend. Silver prices for May delivery were increasing 4 cents to $20.06, while the U.S. dollar index was up 0.11% to $80.18. Gold ETF SPDR Gold Trust (GLD) was rising 0.85% to $124.44 a share. -- Written by Joe Deaux in New York. >Contact by Email. Follow @JoeDeaux
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV