ARMONK, N.Y., April 2, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- German insulation and paint manufacturer Sto SE & Co. KGaA has turned to IBM (NYSE: IBM) systems and storage to energize its IT infrastructure and help it better battle growing data volumes and support the company's aggressive growth plans.
Since its founding 60 years ago, Sto has deployed state-of-the-art technology to design and support its vast portfolio of paints, plasters, renders/stuccos and insulation systems. When the company realized the technologies it put in place only two years earlier would not be able to keep pace with the projected data volumes, it moved swiftly to update the infrastructure with advanced IBM Smarter Storage and Power Systems.
"The growth of the data is enormous," said Dr. Andreas Rebetzky, CIO, Sto. "[When] we took a photograph of a house with a new render 10 years ago, or five years ago, it was a 2MB picture. Now it's a 100MB picture."
Managing incoming data is only part of Sto's challenge. The company and its 4,700 employees around the globe are generating swelling amounts of data, while client requests and transactions continue to pour in.For example, Sto manages "recipes," or formulas, for more than 11 million paint colors, all of which can be ordered online and fulfilled, any time, day or night. And as customer orders top five million a year, Sto's infrastructure must be able to respond immediately - as well as reliably - with the most accurate information. According to Rebetzky, the new solution is already paying off, with customer response times falling by 50 percent and availability increasing to 24/7.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV