First up is aerospace giant Boeing (BA), a firm that's been on a major run in the last year. In the trailing 12 months, shares of Boeing have rallied more than 50%.
Most investors don't think of this airliner manufacturer as a sin stock, but the fact is that BA earns approximately 40% of its revenues as a defense contractor. It's that mix between commercial aircraft and critical defense projects that makes Boeing a best-in-breed sin stock for this year.Boeing's recent gains have been driven by its commercial aviation business, propelled by new offerings such as the 787 Dreamliner and re-engined 737 that are too hard an opportunity to pass up for fuel-conscious airlines. Intermediate-term tailwinds in the airline industry should be an important driver for Boeing in the next couple years, especially as it continues to unveil its next-gen airliners. Boeing's flagship defebse projects include the replacement of the Air Force's KC-46A refueling tanker fleet, a deal that could be worth $75 billion by itself. The firm has also been retrofitting old F-16s into unmanned aerial targets for military pilots to take aim at. (Yes, it's basically getting paid to help blow up a rival defense contractor's fighter jet.) With a backlog of $441 billion, Boeing has approximately five years of sales in the pipeline. That's a number that should give investors a lot of comfort over this stock's ability to earn big revenues for years to come.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV