Thousands of associates from Kohl’s Department Stores (NYSE: KSS) are celebrating National Volunteer Week and Earth Day by volunteering in their local communities during the company’s fifth annual National Go Green Event throughout the month of April. Across the country, Kohl’s volunteers will support youth-serving nonprofit organizations by participating in environmentally-based activities as part of Associates in Action, Kohl’s associate volunteer program. In addition to holding volunteer events, Kohl’s will donate corporate grants to each organization, expected to total more than $2 million this year and more than $10 million over the five years of the program.
Throughout the month of April, groups of Kohl’s associates will volunteer across the country for events including:
- removing invasive species and planting native vegetation to preserve wildlife habitats with Tree Musketeers in Los Angeles, Calif.
- creating an outdoor classroom, weeding community gardens and cleaning up parks with the Urban Ecology Center in Milwaukee, Wis.
- landscaping yards for new homes with plants and flowers with Habitat for Humanity in Macon, Ga.
- spreading mulch to enrich and protect soil in plant beds at the Detroit Zoological Society in Detroit, Mich.
Since 2001, through the Associates in Action volunteer program, Kohl’s associates nationwide have participated in more than 143,000 volunteer activities resulting in more than $79 million in corporate grants. When associates form teams of five or more to support a local youth-serving charity, the company supports the team’s participation with a corporate grant given directly to the nonprofit. Associates in Action is part of Kohl’s overall philanthropic platform, Kohl’s Cares®, which also includes the Kohl’s Cares cause merchandise program, Kohl’s Cares Scholarship Program, Kohl’s Cares fundraising gift card program and partnerships with more than 160 hospitals nationwide.
In addition to supporting environmentally-based volunteer activities during the National Go Green Event, Kohl’s strives to be a leading environmentally responsible retailer through strategies that include sustainable operations, stakeholder engagement and supply chain collaboration. Most recently, Kohl’s received a 2014 Climate Leadership Award from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), EPA’s 2013 Sustained Excellence in Green Power Award and EPA’s 2013 ENERGY STAR Award for Sustained Excellence.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts