Initiative will deliver mental health services to remote regions of Northern Canada
TORONTO, April 2, 2014 /CNW/ - Mental health services in the Canadian North are both desperately needed, and largely unavailable. The region of Nunavut has a youth suicide rate that is 28 times higher than the national average. Almost two-thirds of those who committed suicide had been diagnosed with severe depression. This staggering fact, coupled with the endemic trauma and addiction issues that are present in many communities, has created an urgent need for mental health specialists in a region that has no resident psychiatrists.
In order to provide mental health services to children, youth and their families in remote regions, The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids) developed the TeleLink Mental Health Program (TeleLink). "Timely access to mental health specialists and treatment is critical. Most mental disorders begin in childhood or adolescence - when the signs of mental illness are recognized and treated early, those affected can go on to lead healthy, productive lives," notes Shari Austin, vice-president, RBC Corporate Citizenship and executive director, RBC Foundation. "Today, access to mental health services in the Canadian North is largely unavailable. Through our $200,000 donation to SickKids and by partnering with Cisco, we will help deliver access to health experts in a region where these services might not be available otherwise. This support is part of our RBC Believe in Kids Pledge, a five-year, $100 million commitment to improving the well-being of at least one million children and youth in Canada."
This interactive service enables professionals from SickKids and other major hospitals to provide clinical consultations using state-of-the-art communications technology such as videoconferencing. In addition, TeleLink increases paediatric mental health knowledge and training to service providers in these areas.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV