TORONTO, April 1, 2014 /PRNewswire/ --
Reports Seventh Consecutive Quarter of Record Production
AuRico Gold Inc. (TSX: AUQ) (NYSE: AUQ), ("AuRico" or the "Company") today announces preliminary first quarter production results. All amounts are in U.S. dollars unless otherwise indicated. (Results for the first quarter 2014 are estimates only and are subject to change.)AuRico is reporting its seventh consecutive quarter of record production, representing a 10% increase over the prior quarter and a 17% increase over the first quarter of 2013. The solid quarter-over-quarter production growth was driven by increased production from both our cornerstone Young- Davidson mine and the El Chanate mine. Period-over-period production growth is expected to continue going forward, underpinned by the ongoing ramp-up in production at the Young- Davidson mine located in northern Ontario. Record Quarter-Over-Quarter Production Growth Preliminary 2014 First Quarter Operational Results
Q1/13 Q2/13 Q3/13 Q4/13 Q1/14 Young-Davidson Gold Ounces Produced 28,281 29,252 30,099 33,106 35,095 Underground Mine Tonnes mined per day 1,130 1,611 1,417 2,590 2,600 Grades (g/t) 2.7 2.5 2.8 3.1 2.9 Development metres 1,941 2,445 2,620 2,986 3,400 Mill processing facility Tonnes processed per day 6,466 7,017 6,747 6,969 7,150 Grades (incl. open pit) 1.8 1.7 1.7 2.0 1.8 El Chanate Gold Ounces Produced 17,889 18,751 18,804 16,420 19,110 Open Pit tonnes mined per day 106,319 98,928 87,336 98,487 95,800 Consolidated Results Gold Ounces Produced 46,170 48,003 48,903 49,526 54,205 .Data provided for the first quarter 2014 are estimates only and subject to change .Includes pre-production gold ounces from the Young-Davidson underground mine prior to the declaration of commercial production in the underground mine on October 31, 2013."We are pleased with the progression of the ramp-up at the Young- Davidson mine, which has underpinned a seventh consecutive quarter of record, company-wide production," stated Scott Perry, President and CEO of AuRico. He continued, "The increase in underground mining rates to 4,000 tonnes per day by the end of 2014 and to an ultimate target of 8,000 tonnes per day in 2016 will continue to drive higher production at lower unit costs." Young-Davidson Update
- During the quarter, the underground mine averaged approximately 2,600 tonnes per day at grades in-line with reserve grade estimates. Underground productivity is expected to increase steadily throughout the remainder of the year to reach a productivity target of 4,000 tonnes per day by the end of the year and an ultimate productivity level of 8,000 tonnes per day at the end of 2016.
- The shaft & hoisting infrastructure was commissioned in October 2013 and will facilitate significant increases in underground productivities and corresponding cost efficiency improvements as the underground mine continues to ramp up to its ultimate productivity levels.
- For the first full quarter of commercial production, underground unit mining costs are in-line with expectations at approximately $45 per tonne, including costs associated with the recently commissioned paste backfill operation. Unit mining costs are expected to decrease steadily throughout the year, corresponding with planned quarter-over-quarter increases in underground productivity. Underground cash costs per ounce in the quarter are expected to be in-line with guidance levels.
- During the quarter underground development advance exceeded planned levels with approximately 3,400 metres completed, an average of 38 metres per day. The Company continues to advance underground development to position the mine for sustainable, period-over-period, productivity increases in 2014 and beyond.
- The mill facility continues to operate at, or above, planned levels and averaged approximately 7,150 tonnes per day during the first quarter. Mill productivity increased in March to average approximately 8,200 tonnes per day following the receipt of an amended permit that increased the daily processing limit to 10,000 tonnes per calendar day. While the mill facility is expected to average between 7,000 and 7,500 tonnes per day in 2014, this increase in throughput will provide considerable flexibility as the underground mine continues ramping up to its target of 8,000 tonnes per day at the end of 2016.
- The El Chanate open pit mined an average of approximately 95,800 tonnes per day during the quarter in-line with planned levels.
- Crushing and stacking rates remained in-line with targeted levels.
- Cash costs for the quarter are expected to be at the lower end of guidance.
- Q1 2014 Financial Results ( May 8)
- Annual General Meeting ( May 9)
- Company-Wide Exploration Update (late-May)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV