NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The breakfast wars have gone nuclear. Yum! Brands' (YUM) Taco Bell launched its breakfast menu last Thursday, treading on turf long dominated by hamburger king McDonald's (MCD).
The Tex-Mex chain entered the mix with no holds barred, kicking off its breakfast debut with a cheeky advertising campaign featuring real-life Ronald McDonalds extolling the menu's virtues.
That one-two punch was countered by condescension from McDonald's.
Then, the fast-food chain revealed its hidden trump card. In its latest offensive, it will offer free McCafe coffee in stores for two weeks from March 31 to April 13, a loss-leading bet to encourage store traffic. This marks the first time the company has offered a nationwide coffee promotion.
Nothing in life is free. Except #McCafe Coffee of course! Make friends with @McCafe from 3/31-4/13, during breakfast hours. McDonald's (@McDonalds) March 29, 2014The chain throwing its weight around is understandable given how important breakfast sales are to overall revenue. According to Associated Press estimates, sales between the four-and-a-half-hour stretch to 10:30am comprise 20% of total revenue. Research firm Technomic notes the burger giant holds a 31% share of a robust $5-billion on-the-go breakfast market. The Oak Brook, Ill.-based chain has maintained this strong foothold since it launched its first Egg McMuffin in 1975. Sure, Wendy's (WEN) has its own fast-food lineup and Starbucks (SBUX) and Panera (PNRA) have their cafe-style fare, but for convenient, on-the-move offerings before 11am McDonald's has reigned supreme. Can Taco Bell end that decades' long winning streak?
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV